From the article: Dangerous Fashion
Have you ever been harmed by fashion? Broken your foot on high heels, experienced nerve pain from tight jeans or anything else? Share your stories of dangerous fashion. Share Your Pain
- I have foot drop on both feet due to the use of high heels all my life. I also suffer from osteoarthritis which has almost destroyed my knees. Nice eh? Please wear only high heels on special ocassions or better yet, never!
- —Guest Alexandra
- i was totally into those cute short overalls one summer....my year of living braless and panty-less as a rebel hippy. i ran into the store for a quick errand and realized that the people behind me could see right into my overalls, from the back side (since they were sizes too big) and could see my backside smile...i pretended not to notice. (thankfully i did have a tubetop on) :)
- —Guest wildestfossil
Hobbling and Embarrassed
- I had a very high pair of wedge heels that I wore walking around NY city. I stepped off a curb to cross the street and the wedges got caught in a small pothole causing me to twist my ankle, fall and hurt me knee; in the middle of the street. Oh and there was a cute guy who saw this (I was walking in a way to impress him). Not a good day.
- —Guest Tia
Same Thing Happened To Me!
- I also received a blister from a new pair of suede shoes where the dye entered the bloodstream. I had the same red streak start up my leg and had to go to the ER, have it lanced, received antibiotics, etc. It was when I was in the 8th grade and I was hobbling around school on crutches for over a week! I had never heard of that happening to anyone else before and thought I was the only one.
- —Guest TerriW58
Cramp or moch in my foot
- i was wearing pretty much embellished dress at my friends wedding. surface was not plain it was a carpeted ground. whole show was very good but while going back i got mosh or cramp in my left foot. that was too much painful. it only happens because i wear 4 inches high heal. i have to take bed rest for 30 days due to this accident.
- never wear earrings made from cheap medal....owch! another thing: DON"T WEAR A MESSENGER BAG WHEN IT MIGHT HAVE HEAVY THINGS. Even you gym bag should be in backpack form. You could really hurt your back
- —Guest music and fashion queen
- the high heels rubed me raw and had to wear flip flops for about a week
- —Guest darlene
high heels...no more
- after craming a 5'9 frame into heels for many early years, I earned bone spurs in my pinky toe....so bad, after shaving the spurs, this is throughout 12-15 yearss of pain, waking you up in the nite kinda...they removed the top digit. I pull off my shoe alot when i hear a mom telling her daughter no to heels...its scarey but real..and so not worth it
Wear thigh-high pantyhose?
- That's what we tall girls have to suffer through: pantyhose that's too short to pull all the way up! Thigh-high stockings would be better for avoiding yeast infections.
- —Guest jornada42
- okay, so i used to really love wearing heels right? But one time i wore them but asi was walking down some stairs the heels got caught on a stair and i fell down the stairs! i broke my rist! OUCH!
- —Guest chicgirl19
- Wearing tight pants or shorts too long in a day can give me mild yeast infections. I now go for pants that's looser in that area, but still looks great with my butt and long legs!
- —Guest jenna
- Well , I was really happy when the lower rise jeans became stylish. Not that I want to show a plumber's nickle slot. I normally get them higher than that. But because I have a thicker waist, the high waisted jeans would squeeze so uncomfortably. What ended up happening in the end is it aggravated my colon and began contributing to Irritable bowel syndrome. So I'll take the low rise or where a pair of guys jeans rather than dealing with that pain .
- —Guest Cheryl
- The platform shoes of the 70's did my feet in. I wore these 6 inch platforms which also shaped the foot into a spike heel position. After wearing them to work a few days I was never able to put my feet into heels again. Beware of platform shoes!
- —Guest Lane
- Fashion/Halloween: was a roller derby bomber with skates at work. Eight hours of rolling. Color tights of blue/ and blisters sent me to ER with blood infection streak ,running up my leg by night.Cause by the Cheaper blue dye in tights. It was no treat.
- When I was going to physical therapy for a back injury my PT hefted my purse and said "What do you keep in this, brick bats?" I had to get a smaller purse and keep less in it for the sake of my back.