This special installment of Swimsuit Trends '05 is provided by swimwear designer and retailer Cindy Alpers.
After visiting all of the trade and swimwear fashion shows, I can tell you that swimwear this year could not be any cuter!
Everything is super feminine and refined. Swimsuit bottoms are offering a tad more coverage than in the past, without giving up any sensuality. And the bikini bottom is still sporting that lovely, straight, top-line that we saw emerging last year. You wont see one, deep-V, high-on-the-thigh, bikini bottom in sight. Nor will you see a lot of thongs or G-strings. Sexy can be a good thing, but enough is enough.
What's Hot in Swimsuits
- The bandeau top has to be the hottest bikini style right now, and every swimwear label seems to have its own rendition.
- Big buckles and dangly, hip details are still the big thing this year, except you will be seeing more swimsuits that have the jewel, ring, or buckle on only one hip.
- Sash ties, rather than spaghetti strings are definitely in vogue.
- Retro looks are a really, big, deal. From Tropi-Ties, youll se some marvelous, Polynesian, South Seas, inspired bikinis, with chunky shells and coconut details. From Salinas, in Brazil, well see lots of green and pink, mimicking that Lily Pulitzer look of the early 1960s, as well as plenty of coral and chocolate brown from Liz Bang and TNA. Luxurious, retro, European prints and glam styling are making a big showing, harking back to the Italian Riviera and the James Bond era. Look for shirred front bikini bottoms that just cry out, ciao baby!
- Sweet innocence is sublime. Look for lots of super girly looks, with pretty, English florals and loads of adorable ruffles, which are everywhere, from Letartes French Pastry Bikini, to OndadeMars Tea Party Swimsuit.
From Street to Beach
More coverage is the trend and swimsuits are starting to take on the look of streetwear. TNA and Salinas have brought out a cute, little, skirtini, that covers the bum nicely and goes great with a little cami for a day in town.
Tropi-Ties is unveiling their new, Blousette, bikini, which looks darling with jeans and also provides coverage of the upper the back. (Just the thing you need on your second day on the beach after the sunburn you got on the first day.)
The classic, halter-top is still in the running, whether it is an elongated sliding top, or the stationary, banded style that ViX has made so famous.
Speaking of ViX, look for some muted tones of color, done up in blocks of patchwork, as well as their new, bandini, style of top, not quite a Tankini, but not a bikini top either.
One-piece swimsuits are such a cut-up this year, just as they were last season. That fun, monokini, look, with cut-out sides, is hotter than ever. But seriously, look for some great, one-piece swimsuits that you can actually swim in. Hey, even us fashionistas have to keep in shape somehow.
Theres lots to choose from this year. So catch the latest swimsuit and hit the beach in style.
© 2005, Cindy Alpers
Cindy Alpers is the owner of and has been selling swimwear online since 1996. She is a regular at all of the swimwear shows and continues to buy for Tropi-Ties retail stores, as well as design swimsuits for their signature label.