Intimidated by fashion? Don't be! We'll help you navigate fashion with a few easy-to-remember style rules.
1. Update in Small Doses
Justin Case/Taxi/Getty Images
2. If You Think You're Too Old, You Probably Are
When your gut feeling tells you that a trend is too young for you (and you're not Madonna, Cher or Demi), you'll never really feel comfortable in it.
Fashion Over 40
3. Dress Out of Your Age Group
Go with how fashion makes you feel about yourself. If you feel great in a mini and you're 55, then go for it. If you prefer pantsuits and you're 22, then wear 'em.
5 Things a Grown Woman Should Never Wear
5. Don't Buy Junk to Save Money
Cheapo, just-to-be-buying-something items are almost always a bad investment (unless you're 18 with a great body). Remix existing clothes, alter your hair, makeup and accessories or borrow something from your best friend's closet until the financial situation brightens.
What to Wear When You're Broke
6. Trends Have a Short Shelf Life
Fashion fads are a blip on the fashion timeline. One season everyone is sporting black leggings under minidresses, the next they are wearing pants. There's nothing wrong with dabbling in 'It' bags or must-haves, but remember that they'll only be hot for a short time.
Hot or Not? When Fashion Trends Die
7. Leave Your Look for a While
Ultra-conservative? Explore new looks -- maybe a lacy shirt with peeks of skin -- or prints (try leopard for a bit of wildness). Downtown diva? Try a girly knee-length skirt. Play, have fun, remember that style should work for you, not the other way around. You'll probably go back to your look after experimenting, but with a new approach.
Make Yourself Over
8. Don't Sacrifice Professional Image for Fashion
Strappy, see-through, extra-tight or downright sleazy styles won't ever do your career any favors, regardless of your career path. Many fashion spreads will trumpet high slits, plunging necklines, sheer and a plethora of inappropriate looks in the name of "femininity." But sexy doesn't cut it for 9 to 5. Ever.
What to Wear to Work
9. You Are About Much More Than Just FashionPut much more thought into your reading repertoire, spiritual nourishment and personal relationships than your wardrobe. An inner peace and glow will never go out of style. Even designer Kenneth Cole says "To be aware is more important than what you wear."
10. You're the Boss!If you love it, look great in it and can afford it, buy it. Yes, it's really that simple!