Lots of places have pretty decorations. Many even have great presents and holiday apparel. And a few even have good food on the premises.
But only at Marshall Field's in Chicago, at the downtown State Street location, will you find the ultimate holiday shopping experience for the whole family.
With more than 800,000 square feet of space and a 45-foot Great Tree in the Walnut Room dining area, Marshall Field's is that rare blend of retail and entertainment during the holidays.
A few of the highlights:
- Extraordinary holiday windows that generations of families have come to enjoy. In 2004, the beautiful, animated windows were a magical interpretation of Snow White.
- The Walnut Room which features a gorgeous tree -- this year inspired by the 1962 White House Tree in pink -- and great food. The chicken pot pie is a favorite, Frango mint pie and snowman sundaes for the kids top the list. Don't forget to get a cocktail or kiddie drink that comes with collectible glass mugs that change each year.
- Kids will love the whole experience including a wonderfully decorated line to see Santa (and he always looks the part!) and fun activities like cookie decorating and hot chocolate in the culinary center.
- The shopping will not disappoint, with a combination of private label, moderate and designer goods. You'll find everything from slippers to fur for the whole family.
- Once you've found that perfect gift, take it to the gift wrap center, where they'll whip up fantastic packages (the bows include an ornament) at very reasonable prices (we had two large robes and a throw all wrapped for $20).
Before You Go
Marshall Field's isn't like your average, flat mall store. You'll be traveling between floors on escalators so travel lightly. Start off your visit by checking in first at the visitor's center for coupons; leave your jackets at the nearby coat check to lighten the load.
Marshall Field's is located at 111 North State St., phone number is 312-781-1000.