Nothing in the history of giftdom has been so ridiculed as the giving of ties.
Often seen as a stereotypically "easy" gift, the tie is actually a fashion statement with a rich ancestry.
After all, it is the one lasting male apparel item which serves no obvious function other than adding zip to the wardrobe and a touch of personal style.
- Neckties are a century-old fashion statement, an evolved version of the Croatian's cravat and the worker's bandana.
- In surveying the width of ties, there is some indication of a correlation between the length of women's skirts and the stock market indices, according to "The Darwinian Theory of Neckwear."
- A quality tie should be cut on the bias (across the fabric) to make it lie smoothly once knotted. How to tell? Hold it in the air and if the tie starts to twirl, it's not on the bias.
- For grease stains on a tie, apply corn starch and leave overnight.
- Brights: Let Dad's inner peacock shine with summer brights from companies like Polo. Shop for Polo Ties
- Corporate. Get a boardroom look from Donald Trump's line of affordable ties. Shop for Donald Trump Ties
Prices and Designers