- Born in July 22, 1932 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Educated at National School of Art, Santo Domingo; Academy of San Fernando, Madrid.
- Married to Françoise de Langlade from 1967 until her death in 1983; married Annette Reed in 1989.
- Stepchildren from both marriages; one adopted son, Moises de la Renta
- Oscar de la Renta launched his own label in 1965.
- Council of Fashion Designers of America Womenswear Designer of the Year, 2000 and 2007.
- Awarded CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award in 1990.
- Former president of the CFDA.
- Ladylike sportswear, suits and evening dresses.
What You Might Not Know About Oscar de la Renta
- He apprenticed with couterier Cristobal Balenciaga.
- He dresses both First Lady Laura Bush and Senator Hillary Clinton.
- Was first American to design for French couture house, Balmain, in 1993.