- Born August 10, 1942 in Wethersfield, Connecticut.
- Married to Velvet Underground's John Cale in 1967. Divorced in 1968.
- One daughter, Lulu.
- Debuted her namesake collection in 1978 after a decade of designer for other labels.
- Expanded her empire to include accessories in 2003.
- Coty Award, 1972; inducted into Fashion Walk of Fame in 2003; Lifetime Achievement Award, Accessories Council in 2005; Designer of the Year award, American Apparel and Footwear Association's Image Awards, 2006.
- Fun, girly looks.
What You Might Not Know About Betsey Johnson
- She entered the fashion biz by winning the Mademoiselle magazine "Guest Editor" contest in 1964.
- She was part of the "Youth Quake" movement, with Andy Warhol, Edie Sedgwick (who was her house model) and the Velvet Underground (who wore her outfits).
- She is a breast cancer surivor.