Accented by magnolia pins in remembrance of Katrina's victims, the celebrities honoring television actors at the 57th Emmy Awards showed up in toned-down colors, soft, wavy updos and natural-looking makeup.
The usual blinding bling was replaced by the occasional oversized solitaire diamond earrings, an armful of bangles or a single piece of statement jewelry.
Although fall fashion has hints of tough chic (grommets and studs) and dark romance (black is so back), it seems most of the celebrities were foreshadowing the direction that is emerging for Spring '06 of a general "less is more" attitude.
Collarbones and Shoulders
With an absence of huge necklaces, bare skin became the news in the evening's most prevelant silhouette, the strapless dress.
"Desperate Housewives" actress Marcia Cross' strapless dark green Elie Saab set off her porcelin complexion (have you ever seen such a smooth forehead on a 40-something?) and red hair.
Kyra Sedgwick, in a short nude dress, and a retro-looking Jennifer Love Hewitt in black Dolce & Gabbana, were two more varitations on the strapless theme.
Teri Hatcher another "Housewife" looked young and hip in a deep blue strapless dress from J. Mendel with one of the trendiest waistlines, the empire waist. She complemented the youthful look with pink cheeks, soft natural lips and a wavy updo.
"Housewife," Felicity Huffman, chose a rosy satin dress by Kevan Hall, also with sparkling waist accent.
Designer of the Night: Monique Lhuillier
Not only did French designer Monique Lhuillier wrap a gorgeous Fashion Week show last week, she scored red carpet dresses on three actresses: Marg Helgenberger ("CSI"), Evangeline Lilly ("Lost") and Patricia Heaton ("Everybody Loves Raymond").
Hit or Miss
- Hit: Glenn Close in a strapless black Armani.
- Miss: Eva Longoria's bright coral dress with bejewelled neckline by Angel Sanchez. (It was just too much of a good thing between the bright color, revealing keyhole neckline and embellished neck.)
- Hit: Halle Berry in a blue strapless dress from Ungaro paired with a sleek center-parted ponytail and giant hoop earrings. She looked strong, modern and elegant.
- Miss: Patricia Arquette's ("Medium")giant rolled hairdo. (Although she does gets kudos for proudly showing off her real-woman curves in a town where the-bonier-the-better attitude prevails.)
- Hit: Rachel Bilson ("The O.C.")in a strapless lamé dress, which was young and retro, in a good way.
- Miss: Heidi Klum ("Project Runway")in a floral Dior (she's gorgeous six days after giving birth; the dress wasn't).
- Nude, blush, beige palette
- Jewel tones: sapphire, ruby, emerald
- Wavy or curly loose updos
- Empire waist dress
- Oversized diamond studs
- Glossy nude lips
- Black eyeliner