Don't cover up your figure with tent dresses! Just follow a few rules of proportion and accent your best features.
Time Required: Varies
- Choose darker colors as the basis of your wardrobe: navy, black, charcoal gray.
- Use undergarment foundations: from all-in-one shapers to control top pantyhose.
- Focus on playing up your best features, for example showing off shapely legs with a knee-length skirt.
- Choose fabrics that don't cling, avoiding stiff or bulky textures.
- Use accessories to draw attention to your face: scarves, earrings, etc.
- Avoid anything too tight or clingy.
- Make sure you scale your accessories -- from your handbag to your earrings -- to your size.
- Add small shoulderpads to sweaters and other knit tops to make them hang better.
- Choose clean-lined clothing without big embellishment or buttons.
- Prints should be scaled for your body -- no ditzy prints if you are large. In general, it's the space between prints that makes them unflattering, so look for prints that have overlapping images.
- Don't shy away from sleeveless garments, especially eveningwear that you can cover up with a shawl, sheer top or bolero jacket.
- Don't think that baggy clothes make you look slimmer. Body-conscious clothes that hint at your curves, without being clingy or tight, are the most flattering.