Pool parties. Surfer boys. Gorgeous weather.
Summer vacation will be here before you know it (or maybe not, if you're literally counting down the days like I am!) and that means you need the goods to accompany what is sure to be best summer yet.
SwimsuitThe most essential part of a summer wardrobe, in my opinion, is the swimsuit.
Swimming at the pool, going to the beach, or vacationing at hot spots all require one killer bathing suit (.or two, or three). This is not the time to choose a basic black or ho-hum neutral.
Hot patterns and bright, eye-catching colors are definitely IT!
Go for cutesy polka-dots, slimming stripes, or even a not-so-schoolgirl plaid.As for cover-ups, it depends on the style and color of your suit.
A few fashion inspirations for topping your swimsuit:
- With a sleek maillot, throw on a flirty skirt.
- For a tankini, toss on cropped pants or up the style factor with cargo capris.
- A bikini looks best with a little dress, whether it be a preppy-chic shirtdress or sleek halter style.
ShortiesWhether you go for itty-bitty shorts or a little mini, short is definitely the key word when choosing bottoms for the summer.
Exactly how short you go is all up to you. And keep in mind that additude is crucial for pulling off certain lengths.
Another factor is balance. Skimpy tops and little bottoms just don't work, no matter how hot the weather is.
More tips for pulling off short looks:
- Avoid pairing these bare bottoms with anything overly lowcut, belly-baring, or skintight.
- With a mini skirt, an oversized yet still fitted tunic is the top option. The look is ever-so-slightly boho, yet still chic.
- With shorts, go for a nautical striped tee (I'm so loving stripes!) or a classic polo.
The SandalsThe best part of warm weather is hopping around barefoot and rubbing your toes through the sand (it's natural exfoliation, after all).
But since you can't go everywhere shoeless, skimpy sandals are the best alternative. What fun are clunky boots and stuffy socks in the summer?Flat thongs, low-key slides, hip wedges, beachy espadrilles: there are enough summer sandals for every outfit in your closet!
Try thesesummer footwearlooks:
- Mix summertime-chic with surfer-inspired styles for a high-low look.
- Dimestore flip flops with a little black dress.
- Sweet flats with a saucy mini.
- Classic Dr. Scholl's with uber-trendy cargo capris.
- The Towel - Although a pool towel may not seem important, it really is an essential pool-side accessory. Go for something bright and fun, like bold stripes, funky floral, or preppy animal-motif. Besides, how else can you accessorize while swimming (jewelry, belts, and purses just don't cut it)?
- The Tote - This is the one time that Prada and Gucci don't rule: a beach tote should always be eye-popping and fun instead of status-y and simple. Choose unusual fabrics and bright colors; intricate beaded-details and embroidery are always fabulous.
- The Sarong - So chic. So versatile. The sarong is an essential item in a summer wardrobe. Instead of throwing on shorts and a tee, opt for a sarong for an instantly stylin' look. Also try twisting into a halter dress, strapless dress, or mini skirt instead of wearing as a basic low-slung skirt.