It's a must in the Versace house-- you look sexy and glamorous. -- Donatella Versace, CNN
The front rows of her fashion shows glitter with celeb luminaries like Madonna.
Her split-to-there chiffon dress barely clung to Jennifer Lopez' curves at the 2000 Emmys and was the most talked about garment of the year.
Donatella Versace's super sexy styles carry on the family tradition of marrying fashion with rock 'n' roll, started by her enormously talented brother, Gianni, who was murdered in 1997.
Lines include the lower-priced line, the Versace collection, accessories and even haute couture.
Known for: Flamboyant prints, slinky cuts and over-the-top sexuality
Started in the business: In the mid-seventies she served as Gianni's muse and critic, according to Vogue. Began designing Versus in the '80s.
What you might not know about her
- Even her home is decorated in strong, Neo-classic prints that Versace is known for.
- She is behind the Palazzo Versace in Australia (the first of seven planned worldwide), an upscale hotel that opened in late 2000 that bears the Versace design stamp.
- Her teenage daughter, Allegra, inherited 45 percent of the company when her uncle Gianni died; Donatella holds 20 percent, her brother Santo, 35 percent.
- The customer she designs for: Sexy, sleek, and not afraid to be center of attention.
- Notable quote: "My inspiration is still rock and roll, but now it's lady rock and roll. The look is more refined, and more glamorous." Donatella Versace to Reuters
Madonna, Elton John, Camilla Parker-Bowles, Elizabeth Hurley, Princess Diana, Christina Aguilera
How you can get the look
- The Versace look is all about the body -- plunging necklines, slits, short skirts. You need to feel comfortable showing off your assets.
- Baggy styles, androgyny, dull -- these are a few of the trends you'll never find at Versace.
- Choose strong, pure colors like white or black, for major impact, but don't be afraid of color like bright blue for some added interest.
- Don't shy away from feminine florals, but make sure they are big, bold prints.
- Dresses are a big part of the look -- choose a skirt length a few inches above the knee for newness.
- Never pass up patent leathers, sheer fabrics, beads or sequins or glitter -- these are hallmark, "look-at-me" components!
About Design Byte
Look for bio, hallmarks of each designer's style and how to get the looks yourself, plus great links to runway photos. Design Byte index