1. Style
Cynthia Nellis

Would You Wear Hose with Open-Toed Shoes?

By April 13, 2011

Geen Davis in open toed shoes with hose.This used to be considered a huge fashion sin, but the "rules" have relaxed significantly over the past decade. Here, Geena Davis is attending a dressy event with hose and (gasp!) open-toed shoes. FWIW, I think hosiery with open-toed shoes (that's hosiery, not opaque tights) are a better option for older women whose legs aren't quite up to being worn bare.

But what do you think? (Photo Credit: Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

Follow Women's Fashion on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(1) hillary l. says:

So, my issue with the nylons w/ open toed shoes stigma is that it may be warm enough in LA to go bare legged, but if you’re wearing a skirt and pumps in a colder climate (aka most of the country ), it’s just too chilly to go without nylons.

Also, for the past several seasons, there haven’t been that many closed-toed pumps, but lots of peep-toes. The whole thing’s been way too complicated. I’m actually really glad that nude pumps are in for spring, because it solves a lot of problems!

April 18, 2011 at 11:02 am
(2) Sean says:

I enjoy seeing women wearing stockings with open shoes such as sandals or peep toes. I believe stockings such as Manhattans, Havanna or French heels are totally intriquing. If someone is wearing a patterned article of clothing it should be seen.

April 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(3) Margaret says:

Here in Florida there are lots of ‘toeless” panty hose so just the toes are open with a ‘thong’ to hold them in place. Works very well for ‘nude’ pantyhose and those of us whose legs are a wee bit older

April 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(4) Liz K says:

The media is always talking about “older women,” to the point of obsession. Why should only older women conceal their legs? I see plenty of young women with ugly legs!

April 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(5) Karen says:

Most women don’t have nice skin on their legs. Women should wear pantyhose more often. Not with a sundress, but with more formal clothes, stockings or hose look better.

May 17, 2011 at 7:18 pm
(6) Barbara says:

When women don’t wear hose with a nice skirt or dress, it looks like they forgot to finish dressing, or had to run out of the house before the fire started spreading.

March 27, 2013 at 9:00 am
(7) Ellen says:

I live in Texas and panty hose are frowned upon any time of the year. I do see women in tights with dresses when it is cold, but no panty hose. My dilemma is that I don’t tan because of skin cancer and love to wear dresses when it is warm, but don’t like to show my white legs. Not sure what the answer is…..