1. Style
Cynthia Nellis

You Decide: Michelle Obama's Election Night Dress

By November 5, 2008

michelle obama election night dressUpdate: See what Michelle Obama wore on Inauguration Day. She's been named the best-dressed woman in the world, but Michelle Obama's election night dress left some fans wondering if the First-Lady-to-be could still lead the style world. My vote's in for Michelle Obama to still set a wonderful fashion vibe (in fact, many of the dress styles she wear work for most women); the red and black Narciso Rodriguez (thanks to Fashiontribes for digging up that one) that she wore on election night was simply ruined by a black cardigan. I know I've been guilty of tossing an errant sweater over a perfectly good outfit. But, then again, my hubby has never been named the leader-elect of the free world. What do you think? (Photo Credit: Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

What did you think of Michelle Obama's black and red election night dress?

Comments

November 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm
(1) Mrs. Makeover says:

I didn’t like her dress as she wore it last night (I thought it made her stomach look weird) but then again, it was probably cold out and wearing a cardigan is a sensible thing to do. Maybe she could have gone for a shawl or something else?

Either way, I still think she has great style, though the dress wasn’t my favorite.

November 5, 2008 at 2:43 pm
(2) sara says:

I thought she looked great. My gut reaction when she came out,was wow!!! I thought it accented her trim physique. In regards to the cardigan I thought given that she is first lady and not on the red carpet was appropriate.

November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm
(3) Someone who has respect for fashion says:

The ugliest, poor, outrageous, ridiculious “thing” I’ve ever seen. Who in their right mind would look in the mirror and actually go outside in that, never mind being seen across America? What a joke!

November 6, 2008 at 12:51 am
(4) A True Fashion Queen says:

I don’t know what some of you girls are saying. Why would anyone consider wearing these dirty rags! That is in all seriousness the tackiest sweater I’ve ever seen…god. Looking at it makes me unhappy. Can you say Granny! And fat!! My god. Her belly looks like Burl Ives’! This is a top notch fashion disaster!

November 6, 2008 at 1:01 am
(5) Dixie Dawg says:

That was a fashion disaster of the highest proportions. When she first walked out, you wanted to say “What is that strange piece of material she has wrapped around her body?” It absolutely did nothing to enhance her figure. By the way, is it just me, or does someone need to teach her how to gracefully walk onto a stage? She truly needs lessons from the Ford Modeling Agency on how to appear graceful while walking onto a stage.

That dress was absolutely hideous and spoke volumes about her fashion sense in general. The last few dresses she has waltzed out in have left me thinking, “What was SHE thinking?”

November 6, 2008 at 1:05 am
(6) Shonda says:

Not just ugly…. U-G-L-Y!!!

November 6, 2008 at 7:18 am
(7) Sarah says:

I thought Michelle could do so much better! The dress definitely has potential, and she completely ruined it with that black cardigan. Though it was not appropriate for the occasion, should could have gone for something much more chic. Perhaps we threw in the black sweater not to show off to much skin? Especially in respect of Obama’s grandmother recent passing? Perhaps no?

November 6, 2008 at 8:47 am
(8) ms fashion says:

The dress was awful. She is horrible to dress anyway. Did anyone see the mess of her when she went to cast her vote. Her hair was a disaster as much as her clothing.

November 6, 2008 at 10:03 am
(9) Thrifty Mom says:

While I like a good bargain, I’d walk away from that dress. It looked like a “last year’s left over sale item from ROSS”. At first, from a distance it looked like a “tubey baby” and then it got worse. Any comparison to the style of Jackie Kennedy is an insult. Get real!!!

November 6, 2008 at 11:21 am
(10) Jacki says:

What was she thinking?? Why couldnt she have worn:
1.An all red dress with black pumps, and onxy accessories
2.Black dress with red pumps and red bangle or red necklace.
3.Red dress jacket and black skirt and pumps… Time to get a stylist girl!

November 6, 2008 at 11:26 am
(11) Sharon Porter says:

It took me two days to figure out what that strange dress was about, but I woke up with it this morning. She strode onto that stage with power and pride, not as a slinky model or as a fashion statement. The dress said to me, “Black made it tonight to the most powerful stage on earth. But I carry the red people in my heart and in my womb, not forgotten. You, too, will be reborn. We are here to bring you hope!” And then, to make sure we got it, she dressed her eldest daughter in red, and her youngest daughter in black. She honored the original people of our nation.

November 6, 2008 at 11:57 am
(12) Nancy Chambers says:

Is it really important what she wears? Given the banking,housing,stock market crisis. Who cares. I’m not an Obama fan but I think she would be critisized no matter what she wore.

November 6, 2008 at 12:25 pm
(13) josh says:

I thought she looked like a black widow

November 6, 2008 at 2:50 pm
(14) Carol says:

My friends and I thought she looked like a giant black widow spider and that it was very appropriate for her. I read it also described as a lava lamp.

November 6, 2008 at 3:57 pm
(15) JeJe says:

I could not believe that a woman her size would attempt to wear a dress that had such a garrish appearance. Regardless of her new “position” she cannot get away with a dress that someone tells her is fashion forward or haute couture. She will be judged everytime she appears in public. Be careful Michelle.

November 6, 2008 at 5:48 pm
(16) rohelle says:

I feel she has her own unique style so rather anyone likes it or not she is still Mrs. First Lady Michelle Obama! I Believe she is intitled to wear what she wants to wear. I still love her.

November 6, 2008 at 7:56 pm
(17) ann says:

She is absolutely repulsive. I was embarrassed for her. She is too huge of a woman to be wearing the famous designer for the very thin…late Carolyn Kennedy. The whole group of people on the stage election night were just fashion disasters. Someone help her….QUICK!

November 6, 2008 at 8:11 pm
(18) Citywoman says:

That dress was hideous!! My husband was chiding me at first for being fixated on that style disaster until he got a good look himself and then remarked on how it made it look like she’d had a menstrual disaster while wearing the dress!

I like what she represents but she needs a LOT of help with her style sense and I hope she’s sensible enough to hire someone to assist her!

November 6, 2008 at 8:38 pm
(19) Sara says:

I thought she looked great. An unusual dress for an unusual occasion. I actually found this link because I was looking for where I could buy this dress. I guess I’m in the minority.

November 6, 2008 at 9:16 pm
(20) Taylor says:

I voted for Obama and I am a fan of Michelle, but I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why she chose THAT horrible dress out of ALLLLL the dresses in America! I don’t understand…whatever she was going to wear would end up in the history books if Obama won. And he won. And this is what she picked??? I don’t get it!

Michelle does look like someone who would roll up her sleeves and do some dirty work if there were another hurricane or disaster to clean up. I love that about her. I can’t say the same thing about Mrs. McCain. BUT Cindy McCain could sure give Michelle a few style tips!

November 7, 2008 at 3:26 am
(21) truthteller says:

Hideous, absolutely hideous dress. Mrs. Obama may think she has original style, but she is just tacky! No taste; no class. And – why does she wear stretch pants in public so often? Biiiig mistake!

November 7, 2008 at 3:52 am
(22) Trish says:

For such a historic night….that was the most tasteless dress!!! Who advised her on that one??

November 7, 2008 at 7:08 am
(23) ohmygosh! says:

I had such high expectations, feeling so good Obama won….I wanted to see his lovely family appear….then the dress! I’m sure it was her choice and she tried to do something with it at the last moment obviously with the sweater. I am surprised she made such a choice and can only think she didn’t have alot of time and this was a hurried choice. It definitely said something, the first glance we have of the president elect and his family…..

November 7, 2008 at 9:09 am
(24) Sarah says:

Could be better come on guys she is the president’s wife and not any president its OBAMAAAAAAA she is cute and simple but could be better

November 7, 2008 at 11:22 am
(25) Minnie Moose says:

She either spilled her Kool-Aid on herself or had an unfortunate encounter with a crazed PETA operative.

November 7, 2008 at 11:53 am
(26) Ana says:

What a fashion nightmare! Someone please help our future first lady dress

November 7, 2008 at 1:06 pm
(27) Marilyn says:

That dress looked like a grenade had exploded from inside her intestines…Also, she shouldn’t have jumped on stage grabbing her daughter as though she was chearing her husband in the basketball court. She needs lessons to be elegant, poised and First Lady-like. Perhaps if she spent some time with Laura Bush, class could rub-off on her…

November 7, 2008 at 1:55 pm
(28) deejai says:

I thought that was the worst choice she could have made. She looks about 8 months pregnant…well maybe she is. The previous outfits were stunning. I hope this taste doesn’t carry over into her decorations for the White House.

November 7, 2008 at 4:06 pm
(29) East Coaster says:

Although most people give no significnce to the symbolic meaning of the artifacts of our lives, nevertheless they carry a subliminal meaning. Since we have developed a national consciousness of “red states” and “blue states” you would think both Barack and Michelle would have worn something in dramatic blue to signal the triumph of the Democratic Party. Michelle Obama can be a capable, intelligent and beautiful person and yet wear a dress loaded with negative energy and symbolism. Her unawareness of it does not remove the symbolism. I had cold chills when I saw Michelle Obama’s black widow dress, not only because of its color associations (red with blood and communism and black with african) but because she looked like she just got off an abortion table. Maybe some of you remember another first lady who appeared in public with blood stains on the womb of her dress – Jackie Kennedy with the blood of her husband. Since I believe in the power of symbolism in our lives, I can only hope Michelle Obama’s blood-stained dress is not a vision or prophecy of any event in her future. Strange how the most triumphant moment in recent US history could be dressed in such macabre symbolism.

November 7, 2008 at 5:04 pm
(30) Edith Ann says:

I WAS SHOCKED THAT AFTER THE WHOLE FIASCO OF THE “AMERICA IS MEAN” STATEMENT WE ALMOST DIDN’T OVER COME TO GET THEM ELECTED THAT SHE WOULD CHOOSE A DRESS THAT LOOKED LIKE THE FLAG OF ANARCHY
AFTER A LANDSLIDE! I WAS DISAPPOINTED!
EVEN IF IT NEVER OCCURED TO HER……THAT WAS AN UGHLY UGHLY DRESS!

November 7, 2008 at 6:54 pm
(31) Michael Edmunds says:

I love Michelle but on election night she looked like a black widow spider

November 7, 2008 at 9:23 pm
(32) meose says:

Hated it. And what was with the satanic color palette? It made me think unhappy thoughts.
I loved her blue dress from the convention.

November 8, 2008 at 2:22 am
(33) LCC says:

First thing came to my mind is she was totally dressed appropriately for the big night. She screamed BLACK WIDOW and made a huge statement that all you fools who just voted us in are DEAD. America is dead and will no longer be the black widow and her Marxist husband have fooled all of America (except for me) I didn’t vote for the dictator or his black widow wife but will have to pay the price for the mistake of all you cool-aide drinking fools who just gave up freedom to sacrifice and serve for the family who promised CHANGE and change you will see. Michelle knows. She isn’t stupid and all of you who said she looked like a black widow, you are right on. She was making a statement to all you blind sided Americans. She is the boss, the black widow has risen. Her husband is now going to take us all down. It didn’t take long for me to figure this out. Remember when Obama said in his speech “now you all have to make sacrifices”. Michelle the black widow is so proud now to be an American. She got her husband to rise up for her to take out freedom and all of us are now going to serve her OBAMA doing mandated military service and just wait for the draft. It will be coming shortly after January. Say goodbye to freedom and hello to the new Obama and Michele world of Government. Mandated service, government controlled everything. Say goodbye to capitalism and hello socialism.

Michelle Obama is the Black Widow.

November 8, 2008 at 5:05 pm
(34) marian says:

Maybe she wore that dress because it’s so distracting. Maybe she’s pregnant! Wouldn’t that be something!!! A new little baby in the white house.

Just a thought. Saw the dress without the jacket she wore. It looks a lot better without the jacket.

November 9, 2008 at 7:49 am
(35) janis says:

Who else could wear a dress like that? Perhaps we are in quicksand? Is she now expected to dress like Laura Bush or Hillary or Nancy Reagan? She will develop her style. Her choices showed us she usually has an acute sense of style. I think she will do wonders making the average woman feel good about herself again!

November 9, 2008 at 9:22 am
(36) Mary Jane Larkin says:

She looked like she got it from the salvation army. What a disgrace. PLEASE DON’t every compare her to JACKIE KENNEDY in any matter.
Also to put her 7 year in BLACK – it’s a long life. She will have plenty of time to wear the devil’s color.

November 9, 2008 at 10:42 am
(37) Jean Neipert says:

For a new First Lady in the White House, Michelle Obama looked like S—! I hope she sees herself in pictures from that night and tosses that dress in the garbage. Sweater or not, there is no hope for that dress on her body.

November 10, 2008 at 2:41 am
(38) Debra Yantis says:

Comon’ Sisters! She was fablous and it’s Not about fashion. Let’s have a First Lady that reflectss who we are – ssome days are better than otherss and we want all the gals to feel great regardless.
It’s not a fashion show — it’s real life. Let’s show the respect.

November 10, 2008 at 8:34 am
(39) barb says:

Everyone won’t dress like jacquiline Kennedy. Isn’t it time we stop thinking about what we look like and start concentrating on the country????? As long as they get the job done, I don’t care if she dresses like Barney.

November 10, 2008 at 8:37 am
(40) Julie says:

Wow.
I am appalled at the venom of people here. Symbolism of communism, black power, black widow, blood, the death of JFK? Please- it’s a dress. Try not to read more into it than that. Nancy Reagan wore Red the entire time she was in the White House. It’s a color of strength and passion.
Sitting here and calling her fat is just silly- no she isn’t heroin chic thin, she is normal sized. Has everyone forgotten the average size for women in this country is a 16? She looks fit and healthy.
I guess we can look forward to 4 years of people being mean and snarky and trying to pin symbolic meaning onto every thing. So much for enlightened and progressive.

November 10, 2008 at 8:37 am
(41) the_kcar says:

Something got missed along the way…first: it was *cold* outside. Second: she’s to be the First Lady, not a hottie runway model. Third: the selection of black to contrast red, shown on all family members, was a subtle hint that this Democratic family wishes to reach across the partisan divide [red vs blue...savvy?]

The cardigan is actually another statement: it’s not a stuffy, polished family soon to enter the noble White House – it’s a simple family with the common goal to Set Things Right.

Personally, not so much through the eyes of a fashion guru but through the eyes of an impact wardrobe assistant, I would state that the full family showed remarkable insight to the people in their apparent support of both the appointed office and the US at large.

Yet people missed the point….

November 10, 2008 at 8:43 am
(42) Peanutt says:

I am absolutely APPALLED at the vicious, petty tone of most of the comments criticizing Mrs. Obama’s dress. Apparently there are many people on this post that are extremely angry that Mr. Obama won the presidency, and are taking it it out on Mrs. Obama via her fashion choice. She WAS dressed by a prominent designer, people. Second, reading any type of racial implication (“black widow?”, rather than “spider-like design on the front of her dress”) into her choice of dress reveals the writers’ meanspiritedness against Mrs. Obama rather than their unhappiness with the dress. I didn’t think it was her best look either. Mrs. Obama is very short-waisted, with very long legs. I think it could be difficult to dress someone with those body proportions. And yes, perhaps a pashima or a different outfit (maybe a suit) would have looked better than this awful dress. But, it’s done, and she’ll probably have better professional assistance in her public attire in the future. As far as her being the next First Lady, congratulate her, and if your don’t like it, GET OVER IT! It’s a done deal!

November 10, 2008 at 8:47 am
(43) Rima says:

People in America get a life is it so important to what she wore it decently covered her and she wasn’t vulgar people dont have anything better to do in their time.

November 10, 2008 at 8:57 am
(44) Sylvia says:

The new First Lady is a Beautifuly women in her self!..as for the dress,I can see she is not an out landish person,but I would say,now she is First Lady, she may need a good fashion designer to show how to get the best out of what SHE feels comfortable in…she is of tall Stature and is not stick thin!…they are a beautiful warm family ..and it shows…they are there for your country ” America”!..give her a chance!…
Signed English lady..

November 10, 2008 at 9:01 am
(45) nadja says:

She looks like a capsula of antibiotic PENBRITIN.
Very bad choice.

November 10, 2008 at 9:07 am
(46) Mags says:

The choice of this dress designer whose current collection is focused on bondage was totally inappropriate for any woman, particularly our future first lady.

November 10, 2008 at 9:08 am
(47) Tammie says:

Some of you people need to get use to having a family that will serve and be an ordinary FAMILY. First Lady I am sure is concerned about her children first and foremost…so if she is out one morning and not POLISHED think about the times you may have run out with your kids in YOUR sweats.it is time we concentrate on more important things. I did have to view the dress a few times for it to grow on me:).

November 10, 2008 at 9:12 am
(48) Grace says:

Michelle’s dress was inappropriate for the
occasion. Some people’s comments are outrageous and curel. There is no need for their harsh and nasty comments.

November 10, 2008 at 9:14 am
(49) Betty says:

i think she was concerned about more than a dress her Hubby was just made President of the country if she appeared in her nightie she would be happy And if she was chilly why not put a sweater around her shoulders God Bless Her she has a rough row to hoe.. Two children in grade school Hubby handling a country and a WAR That dress is tiny worry — Betty

November 10, 2008 at 9:24 am
(50) Used to be hip says:

My first thought was wow, that’s bold! Then my second was how sweet. It looked as though, as family, they were accenting one another. Now, there shouldn’t be a thing to complain about there. If that was what they were actually doing then how beautiful.

November 10, 2008 at 9:31 am
(51) P2 Style and Image Consulting says:

I agree that the sweater looked as if it was thrown on as an afterthought and that a shawl would have been a better option. She may have even considered layering a light fabric bell-sleeved piece underneath or topped the dress with an elegant long jacket that flared out from her waist. I believe one of the future First Lady’s biggest fashion mistake is that she selects the wrong styles (and in many cases fabrics) for her body silhouette. Empire dresses or dresses that flare out from Mrs. O’s waist with either wide-set straps or fluted sleeves, like some of the dresses she has worn in the past by designer Maria Pinto, would create a more balanced overall look. Another alternative would be a pencil skirt suit with a peplum jacket. At the end of the day I’d say Mrs. Obama’s beautiful smile, coupled with the best accessories anyone could ever have (her stunning looking family) trumps her occasional bad fashion choices.

P2Styles – People Packaging is What We Do!

November 10, 2008 at 9:42 am
(52) Terri Murray says:

I liked the dress. However, being in the public eye, everything should pass the “does it look good on camera” test. This one was not the best choice. And I would’ve like to have seen the little one in something other than all black. I agree that the sweater was not a good choice as well. She’s new at this. An image consultant would’ve chosen a better dress to portrait her beauty. She’s going to be great!

November 10, 2008 at 9:45 am
(53) Jane says:

Here in the UK on the BBC we were told that the design of the dress was based on the Black Widow Spider!

November 10, 2008 at 9:48 am
(54) cyn says:

I was shocked!!! I have not like but one of her outfits as of yet, none are fitting her station in life. I thought the dress centered on her most vulerable parts and of any woman, it really, was sorry to say, was not something anyone I know would wear, rich or poor.

November 10, 2008 at 9:53 am
(55) Des says:

I thought she looked fabulous as ever. I thought she may have been a little chilly and decided to wear the sweater, but SO WHAT! I loved her dress and her little girls are adorable.

DkM

November 10, 2008 at 9:54 am
(56) Jean Lowenberger says:

Are those of you who do not like her dress from the other political party? She looked fine, and besides they were outside in Chicago!! Come on people, start working together, you’re supposed to living in the strongest country in the world, don’t be so petty!

November 10, 2008 at 9:56 am
(57) Yvonne says:

I have seen her look better but was it all about her? Anyway, she has plenty of time to pull her fashion sense together. Why doesn’t St. John deliver a few of their wonderful knit suits until she finds herself? We all have had those days when something we have worn could have been better.

November 10, 2008 at 9:58 am
(58) La Nueva Venus M CH says:

Yes, the cardigan was not the best choice. But, you know what?…In this time, we have more important things to think about it, than fashion.
I know that we need to dress properly and all the eyes are on them. But give them a break!
People, we are making history in this country. Keep the focus in that.
She is a power woman and we can learn a lot from her.
That question, goes to her fashion consultant, because they (She and Obama) have many things to do and think before fashion.

Thank you!
M.

November 10, 2008 at 10:21 am
(59) Martha says:

Michelle O. is a great looking woman, tall, slim, and fit. When I saw the dress I was pretty floored. It looked just awful on TV. And the cardigan totally wrecked the lines and drama of the dress even more. I just don’t think the dress was appropriate for the occasion.
I know we really shouldn’t care about what she wore but I think when the mistake is that glaring there will be a some remarks.

November 10, 2008 at 10:58 am
(60) DebbieF says:

For God’s sake, give it a rest. She looked fabulous. It was CHILLY and she needed a sweater. The dress is beautiful. She is a class act. Enough said.

November 10, 2008 at 11:08 am
(61) Sallie says:

Damn! Are all of you fashion models..could you people have a little manners..are you all fashion plates? Talk about petty..get a life.

November 10, 2008 at 11:25 am
(62) Vicki says:

I think the “designer” missed on this one. Had the colors been reversed on this particular design it would have worked (the look of a red sash and coloration on the hem, but subdued color on the chest and tummy. And yes, a black jacket/blazer would have worked far better than a black cardigan. The criticism however, belongs to the designer (who should know better when color blocking) rather than Michelle who carried it off better than most women could.

November 10, 2008 at 12:32 pm
(63) Lisa says:

If she’s the best dressed woman, we’re in trouble! I have never seen her wear anything that flattered her or would allow her to claim that title. Then again no matter what you try to do, some things just won’t work.

November 10, 2008 at 12:38 pm
(64) Happily retired says:

The dress was disgusting. If she bought it anywhere other than JCPenney, she paid too much. That money belongs to the poor people and it should have been donated to them rather than spending it frivolously on expensive designer disasters. We condemn $150,000 spent on Palin; but this “thing” can spend that kind of money on a rag? Hypocracy! As for taste, the Klampits have arrived in the White House.

November 10, 2008 at 12:55 pm
(65) Gisselle says:

I agree with Happily Retired, it’s rather hypocritical that no one has condemned Michelle Obama for her Lavish Spending.

I don’t mind the Cardigan she wore, however the dress looked ugly. It looked like someone sprayed red paint over her dress. I don’t understand why everyone is ‘wowing’ this piece. It’s as ugly as sin.

November 10, 2008 at 1:03 pm
(66) Pat says:

Looked like she had it leftover from Halloween to me and all she needed was a pitchfork to complete the effect. I found it rather frightening myself. Then Obama wearing the Blue and the 2 girls in red and black, ummh???? She looked like Satans daughter.

November 10, 2008 at 1:45 pm
(67) Susan says:

We don’t discuss fashion a whole lot but all me girlfriends and daughter where talking at a party the other night and we all hated it we couldnt believe she wore it yuk

November 10, 2008 at 2:08 pm
(68) ANNA KOCH says:

THE PERFECT “BLACK WIDOW SPIDER” COSTUME. DID SHE FORGET TO TAKE OFF HER HALLOWEEN COSTUME? …..VERY BAD IDEA FOR SUCH A SPECIAL NIGHT.
NO MORE COMMENTS.

November 10, 2008 at 3:20 pm
(69) Mal Adjusted says:

Sad that on such a special occasion she had this dress on. Makes you think there might not have been any mirrors around, all of us have done a fashion booboo before but it was not in any way making history. This awful dress will live on forever and will go down in history in photos taken of this great event in our American story. She’ll do better but dang…. what a bad image this one gave.
Special note: I’ve read the hate filled political comments from some especally LCC from 11/8 @ 2:22am and realize we still have a long way to go, this is a FASHION BLOG right…. Please keep your hate filled comments for one of your special hate filled BLOGS…. This is not the place to spill your venom.

November 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm
(70) Cheryl says:

I thought and think that she looks really bad in clothes period. To the point that she looks like a frump in no matter what she wears. I can’t imagine what she is going to wear for the ball. That will be somthing ugly I’m sure.

November 10, 2008 at 3:44 pm
(71) NancyVP says:

That horrifying dress was just another disaster she has chosen to wear. She has an ASS the size of a house, so why would anyone want to make it the size of a mansion. She’s obviously in need of mega HELP in the fashion department!! Then again, if irony prevails, she may truely become a BLACK WIDOW!!!!!!!!!!

November 10, 2008 at 4:42 pm
(72) Greenian says:

The dress didn’t look that bad. It’s hard to please the general public isn’t it? When Hillary had a great haircut, she was ostracised. When Pailin started to dress up, she too was ostracised. No it’s Michelle. Shouldn’t we focus on whether she will make a good first lady and that her intelligence may assist the President in tackling the tough economic situations faced by Americans instead of deciding if her dress was lovely or not. When the tough times come, one would have to wear anything that one can afford!

November 10, 2008 at 4:59 pm
(73) Maya's Muse says:

I think Michele Obama has the poise, charm and intelligence to carry off any ensemble she chooses.

Maya : )

November 10, 2008 at 4:59 pm
(74) Zach says:

TO: NancyVP, based on your response, as well as several others I’ve read, you seem to be overly critical of Michele Obama’s dress. Did her dress really bother YOU that much? As a white male, I think Michele Obama is a smart, beautiful woman. One of the prettiest First Ladies that White House has had. And I don’t find a thing wrong with her body nor ass for that matter. So to you and all of the other HATERS, get over it!

November 10, 2008 at 5:07 pm
(75) Janet says:

I think that different shoes would have been nice, and the dress should have been a little shorter.

November 10, 2008 at 5:11 pm
(76) Janet Fowler says:

Right On Zach.

November 10, 2008 at 5:30 pm
(77) Katrina says:

Michele Obama’s dress was probably not the right selection for election night. I agree with others that she looked like a black widow with the red hour-glass on her torso. She is a beautiful woman and should have selected another dress for this important and very historic occasion.

November 10, 2008 at 6:25 pm
(78) Angela Patterson says:

Are you kidding me? Narcicism Rodriguez created this? I thought Michelle rolled out a bolt of fabric and tossed it together just minutes before the event.

Well, at least that’s what it looked like to me … something from my Home Economics 101 class in high school.

If it was from Rodriguez’ Ready-To-Wear collection, I’d change the name to “Ready-For-Garage-Sale” collection.

Michelle looked a lot better when someone dressed her, that’s for sure. Look back at old pictures of her when she did her own makeup. Wow. Perhaps she won’t get a crazy notion to wear that dress ever again.

It might end up at the Smithsonian, only under “when bad clothes happen to good people.”

Don’t start comparing her to Jackie just yet.

But don’t be surprised if you see Apple Bottom Jeans and the boots with the fur in the white house either.

November 10, 2008 at 6:39 pm
(79) June March says:

Wow, way too much thinking about the dress other than it was ugly and didn’t flatter her.

She really needs help, and being First Lady has to bring her a huge amount of pressure. Both of them probably don’t realize what they got into.

November 10, 2008 at 6:58 pm
(80) Rain says:

Weird prom dress nightmare accident.

Yep, that about covers it. I am, however, looking forward to her next selections. I think we’ve all made her QUITE aware of this one.

November 10, 2008 at 7:28 pm
(81) dodz says:

@ (40) Julie, (41) the_kcar, and whoever else expressed similar opinions (I stopped reading, because it was getting pretty obnoxious) — Thank you. You pretty much said what I was thinking.

Admittedly, I’m not a big worshipper of fashion, the way some of these people seem to be, but she’s the next first lady… You’d think that people would be a bit more focused on what good she might bring to that post and to our country for at least a full a week after the elections, before trashing her for her choice in clothing.

November 11, 2008 at 12:59 am
(82) janiebell says:

Our next first lady, Michelle Obama is a “rill person”, true blue through and through not a bit “fake or unrill”, and I for 1 can say, “I am glad that there is one lady that can buy and wear “off the rack clothes” and not fill out ofplace, and I liked the dress Michelle Obama wore when herhusband accepted the win to the whitehouse, but the sweater was not a good choice. The weather could have been cold outside and Michelle might have needed a sweater but Michelle should have removed her sweater before coming on stage. We women would have liked to have gotten a good look at that dress {front and back.} After having comeoff stage Michelle could have put her sweater back on. What iswrong with the way Michelle comes on stage. Michelle Obama comes on stage like she is in a hurry to takeher place at her husband’s side and help greet thepeople.

November 11, 2008 at 1:30 am
(83) Misty says:

I am glad to see Michelle is dressing better these days butI do hope when Michelle Obama becomes our first lady,she will still dress, “off the rack”. I know thatall the important events,she will need fashion designer dressings but for the most part I hope MichelleObama will keep buying and wearing “off therack”. We women need aleader who will live somewhat where weall do.
I liked the red and black dress Michelle wore election night but I would have likedto havesee theback also.

November 11, 2008 at 2:38 am
(84) Kay says:

Overall, did not like the dress and the cardigan/shrug was a negative. But, then again, I don’t think that being a fashion plate is high on the First Lady’s priority list. I hear the designers are not complaining as their sales are up regardless of how the publics opinion. So, Go Michelle, don’t let the “fashion” minded dictate how you dress.

November 11, 2008 at 2:54 am
(85) Punkindust says:

I think she looked like she was hit by a paint ball right in the tum tum tummy. Give her sometime and a good designer for her enhancing her good attributes they will advise and fix her up. She walks like a woman jock and her butt needs some toning. They will work on her. Within a year we will see a big difference. Enough of black and red on those young girls too. Jackie Kennedy she will never be. She was a natural with class.

November 11, 2008 at 3:49 am
(86) Proudly African woman says:

I think she looked good enough. Why do i think that most of the people who have posted their comments are sounding “Racist”? You dont have to refer to her as “black widow” if she was white, would you have refered her to “white widow”? Lets be human when commenting on issues.. Like it or not she is THE FIRST LADY OF UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!
Viva Michelle!!

November 11, 2008 at 5:01 am
(87) Valerie says:

Michelle Obama and her beautiful daughters looked great! Their dresses expressed victory and excitement, which many were feeling (he won by a landslide) after such a long and ugly campaign. Michelle’s sweater was fine. That’s what’s so cool about her; she’s practical, real & smart. Why be uncomfortable & cold when you are celebrating such a memorable moment in history?
A proud Irish/Norwegian Democrat in Woming! (a red state :( )

November 11, 2008 at 7:35 am
(88) Mary D says:

Red and black are not a good color combination, scarf or no scarf! I was surprised by her outfit.

November 11, 2008 at 8:30 am
(89) Judith Jordan says:

I know she wanted to appear smaller waisted but when she walked on stage, me a science teacher thought of a black widow spider, no pun intended, I am just talking about the dress. Bigger women are beautiful, don’t let some designer do that to you. She needs to go softer.

November 11, 2008 at 10:38 am
(90) Rita says:

Okay I think the attacks are getting waaaay out of hand. What is being criticized here? is it the dress or Michelle Obama herself?

All those trashing her had better find something good to do with their lives. Obviously they find fashion much more important to them than an economy which can only be described as being in a critical state.

What Michelle Obama wears isn’t important. What’s important is her capacity to handle her new position as the First Lady of the United States of America and I have no doubts that she’ll perform excellently

November 11, 2008 at 11:23 am
(91) mpt says:

I did not like the dress on Michelle. It did not speak well for her classy, chic style!

November 11, 2008 at 11:53 am
(92) Mary W says:

To Mary D from Mary W. Red and black not a good color combination? Who knew? I didn’t! I often have worn red with black. It also appeared to be Sarah Palin’s signature color combo during the campaign.
All this rage and fury over a dress….I agree with Rita (90). These attacks are out of bounds and I believe are about something other than the dress.
White and over 70.

November 11, 2008 at 3:53 pm
(93) Helen says:

PEOPLE!!! BLACK AND RED are the COMMUNIST PARTY COLORS!!!!Don’t you see what’s going on? She again were RED on her first visit to the white house.

November 11, 2008 at 4:53 pm
(94) grokerdon says:

the best dressed is sonsoles espinosa, zapatero’s wife, spanish president. and what about ingrid betancourt dressed in max mara? you can check it on http://www.neo2.es
and about obama… what do you think of castelbajac dress with his face? i love it

November 11, 2008 at 8:00 pm
(95) FNP says:

TO: LCC (33) Very well stated!! The government is already starting to control the banks and insurance companies, next it will be the auto industry and health care. SOCIALISM here we come. Don’t blame me, I didn’t vote for him! All you STUPID ASSES that did, will soon see what a HUGE MISTAKE you ALL made!!! To: Zach (74) You desperately need to see an opthamologist!!

November 11, 2008 at 11:26 pm
(96) misswest says:

Though I have generally liked Mrs. Obama’s clothing style, I absolutely abhored the dress she chose on election night. I didn’t know until this article however that she had worn a cardigan over the dress. Still, it seemed to be an odd choice for Obama’s acceptance speech with the whole world watching. The design, the color — it was definately not complimentary to her figure.

November 12, 2008 at 2:19 pm
(97) BEATRIZ says:

WHAT’S THE MEANING OF THE OBAMAS BLACK AND RED THEME ? I MEAN, THE FOUR OF THEM WHERE DRESSED IN THOSE COLORS; EVEN BARACK HAD RED ON HIS NECKTIE. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE COLORS OF FIDEL CASTRO REVOLUTIONARY FLAG ? YEP, YOU’RE RIGHT: RED AND BLACK….!

November 12, 2008 at 8:09 pm
(98) Reneta says:

I love the fact that Michelle Obama always has on a sexy (not too sexy for the cause) dress. Otherwise, it would be the “oh so conservative” look that all other first ladies before her have worn. It takes some soul to change up the essence of the first lady’s presence. Michelle Obama…….change it up!!!!
Fashionistas such as myself are counting on you!
Show them that you can have some sex appeal and still knock their socks off as the first “African American” lady of the United States.

November 12, 2008 at 11:47 pm
(99) someone who see things for what they are not how they look says:

Who the heck cares about her dress?!?!?!?!? Personally I was ecstatic to see who would be the next U.S. president. Don’t get me wrong, I love fashion, but I try to see beyond fashion sometimes. I really don’t think that what anybody wore that night was really important. This family just made history with their glorious victory. Future here we come!!! By the way, curvy girls rule!!! You go Michelle!! Hehehe

November 12, 2008 at 11:56 pm
(100) Me says:

“Michelle Obama is the black widow” “OCIALISM here we come. Don’t blame me, I didn’t vote for him! All you STUPID ASSES that did, will soon see what a HUGE MISTAKE you ALL made!!!” Calm down people, don’t be such sore losers. What’s next? Obama is the antichrist, like I’ve heard a couple times already? This fashion blog suddenly became a politics one, please! Live a little guys.

November 16, 2008 at 12:32 am
(101) Suzette says:

why didn’t she just wear a black dress w/ a red star like B.Ayer’s t shirt google the significance of shirt. She is a horse of a woman – taller than B O-see 1st day at WH in red dress.

November 17, 2008 at 12:57 am
(102) Rarri says:

obviously we have some haters out there! okay im 20 so i couldnt see my self wearing a dress like that however it looked nice on Michelle not many women could have pulled that dress off but she made it work. sooo my honest opinion to all ya’ll who are downing her be real its not the dress its her husband ya’ll mad at because he blew McCains ass out on election day!!!lol so ya’ll get a life and stop hating on that women she’s beautiful inside and out! Change has come! Obama 08!

November 17, 2008 at 2:26 pm
(103) Deb S. says:

When I first saw her come out on stage, my first thought about her dress was a French maid’s outfit that resembled a tamed Frederick’s of Hollywood number.

November 18, 2008 at 3:56 pm
(104) PC says:

MICHELLE LOOKS LIKE A DIRTY RAG IN THAT OUTFIT

November 19, 2008 at 5:15 pm
(105) shiauna says:

I think she dress very niece. some people need to stop hateing off that women.Because she is a very niece dresser

November 21, 2008 at 2:31 pm
(106) Janice says:

I found her dress rather shocking, not to mention distracting from the “historic event” (even though I am appalled that he won). Have to think she is on his side, why try to steal the show with such an outlandish dress!? Made me wonder if it is symbolic of all the blood that will be spilt with all the partial birth abortions that he wants to sign into law.

November 21, 2008 at 2:33 pm
(107) Janice says:

I have to say, she is NOT the first lady, she is married to the President-ELECT, which would leave her in the “elect” stage, too. If that’s the best she can do, we’re in for a nightmarish experience in more ways than one.

January 19, 2009 at 10:50 am
(108) OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN says:

REGARDLESS OF WHAT ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO LIKE OR DISLIKE HER STYLE SENSE, YOU WILL FOREVER REMEMBER THAT DRESS AND THAT NIGHT. IT WAS A BOLD MOVE, ITS MEMORABLE, AND THE FIRST LADY ELECT WILL BE THE FIRST LADY WITH HER FASHION SENSE. PERHAPS NO ONE RECALLS HILLARY CLINTON WITH MOUSY HAIR, GLASSES AND LOOKING LIKE A FRUMP. LOOK AT HILLARY’S INAUGURATION DRESS ON HUFFINGTONPOST.COM. EVEN AFTER SHE WAS DRESSED AND PUT IN CONTACTS, SHE STILL LOOKED AWFUL. AND JACKIE KENNEDY WASN’T ALL THAT. SHE WAS SIMPLY THE YOUNGEST AND SLIMMEST WOMAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE AT THE TIME. OH, WEALTH DOESN’T HURT NEITHER. YOU PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT RED AND BLACK DRESS. ITS JUST A SHEATH DRESS WITH A PRINT. I WANT ONE WITH SLEEVES.

January 21, 2009 at 1:31 am
(109) Kim says:

I really liked Michelle Obama’s ‘day look’ for the inauguration. Very chic, a wonderful color, interesting fabric. Applause. However, for the evening festivities, her choice of that white prom dress style was a complete disaster. I think she may have realized it too, only realized it too late in the game. She has a fantastic and muscular physique, so a frilly prom dress (clearly too long and obviously impossible to dance in) was very distracting and not very flattering. Every five seconds she was fussing with or tried to fling the fabric away. It did not suit the occasion or her at all. The bodice of that gown also fit her strangely and the off the shoulder strap was angled in such a way that it made the silhouette seem even more ill-fitting. Two thumbs down on that one!!

January 21, 2009 at 7:37 pm
(110) Mary says:

Our new first lady is a big gal and would look better in soemthing more tailored. I did not like either the daytime or evening clothes Milchelle Obama chose to wear yesterday. Jill Biden was classy looking at the inauguration and balls. Also, the Obama children looked darling!

January 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm
(111) Isabella says:

Horrible dress. She has no shape. The dress made it worse.

January 22, 2009 at 11:33 am
(112) Linda gggg says:

What the hell were these woman thinkin’!
#1…Jill Biden should dress appropriate she looked like a 1960′s GO-GO & bar fly…SHE is NOT that young lookin’ PERIOD!
#2– Michelle Obama,,,Holy Crap…THIS WOMAN needs help SOON!!! You Good designer’s like Oscar de la Renta, Bob Mackie should go to her rescue….QUICK..OR–Maybe someone could arrange a meeting with OUR classy First Lady Mrs. Reagen, she is not too old to help! so to GIVE some tips for Michelle! ! That White Dress, was horrible!…SHE LOOKED LIKE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN! She is NOT a pretty lady and has a HUGE butt…Is the White House, going to hire a personal trainer To help her ?? She also missed a few dentist appt’s then she was younger and that tie dye dress she wore to church yesteday awful…maybe she went to church to pray for a GOOD designer! Jackie O she will NEVER be no matter how much she straighten her hair..or borrow’s Oprah’s False eye lashes

January 22, 2009 at 2:31 pm
(113) Sallie says:

I thought Dr. Biden looked great..loved the dress & boots. Also thought Michelle Obama looked fabulous in her green ensemble, shoes & gloves to match..contary to what some of these catty women are saying I think Michelle Obama is a very attractive woman..perhaps they might be a tad jealous, hmmm?

January 23, 2009 at 12:42 am
(114) Kat says:

I don’t get the huge hurrah over Michelle Obama’s style of dress. I think she is very “regular” and sometimes borders on plain. How does she win best dressed woman in the world? That is insane. And it is also insane to compare her to Jackie Kennedy. Nobody compares with her except for Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly. Michelle Obama comes NO WHERE close to that type of classic beauty or style.

February 12, 2009 at 10:34 am
(115) WORRIED says:

SORRY GUYS IT SHOWS AMERICANS, DONT JUST HAVE PRIORITIES
UR ECONOMY IS BAD, UR HAVE NO MORALS AND ALL U CAN DO IS BITCH ABOUT A DRESS!
HEAVEN HELP U!

February 16, 2009 at 5:14 pm
(116) Bewildered says:

I think it was atrocious looking. I saw it and thought “Was she wearing a black dress and just slaughtered a hog or something?”. It couldn’t have looked any worse if she wore it with galoshes or oven mitts or something. Terrible.

February 25, 2009 at 5:58 pm
(117) Fashion Conscious says:

I do hope that Michele will soon take advice from someone who knows what she should wear on certain occasions. I have not like any of her dresses, exception, the teal dress that she wore while on the campaign trail. I would like to know what’s up with all the sleeveless dresses she’s wearing in the dead of winter. She definitely needs help, I know she has gotten many qualified offers, only hope she will listen and take heed. The dress that she wore on election night, a disaster, inauguration, not appropriate, ball a total disaster, looked like a bad prom dress, I could go on and on, someone please help her.

April 2, 2009 at 11:13 pm
(118) daym says:

Are you kidding? I don’t know one person who liked that ugly thing she wore! And while we’re at it, how about that bedspread she wore to the Inaugural Ball? I swear she must have found the bedspread my mother had and made a dress out of it. It was so ugly. It is not the clothes, it is the fact that she is tall and wears them well. The clothes are not great at all!

September 29, 2010 at 3:08 am
(119) salwar suits says:

Friends you are right I also didnt like that dress.She was looking so weird and the dress was not at all good.

October 26, 2010 at 12:40 am
(120) norma says:

I was shocked to see the colors of the dress. I said to myself , ” she is wearing the colors of socialist-communism party colors. I said oh my gosh….this is a start for what is coming down. The take over of United States.. God helps us!

May 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm
(121) Simeon says:

I agree with the last commenter.

Their handlers planned for them to dress as they did that day.

THIS WAS NO ACCIDENT. The man Barry Soetero was groomed for this position, and I imagine his wife was as well.

The black widow symbolizes the finality of the U.S. as we know it, and a ringing in of a “new age” to come, or better put, a “new order”.

The dress was a mission statement, and bold at that. The families and club members that know how to read these signs understand what they mean, but to the public it is song and dance, hypnotism, in a sense.

Look where we are, and where we have been, so far, fascist ideals have been blended into the U.S. under different guises. Like the bite of the window, and the clench of the fangs, the venom of this dark plan is slowly seeping into the U.S.

What could be the anti-venom?
Only God has that answer. Let’s seek him and find out what to do now.

May Jesus help this country.

It wasn’t just a dress.

January 21, 2013 at 9:50 am
(122) SmS says:

She always looks confident, approachable and well-groomed. Michele Obama is beautiful inside and out, so why are we hung-up on her fashion? Honestly, I didn’t even pay any attention because I was taking in the big picture. It’s easy for the rest of the world to sit back and criticize her, but let’s remember that she is also trying to relate to the rest of us, wearing clothes more than once and purchasing some of them at “regular” places like Target. She’s a good steward of what she has, and a fantastic role model, so let’s not be so judgemental about something as superficial as wearing a sweater. Hooray for Michelle and her overall sense, not just fashion sense!

June 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm
(123) graphic design projects says:

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and include
approximately all vital infos. I would like to look more posts like
this .